In my early days as a programmer (many years before microcomputers), I remember an instance where one of the senior mathematicians with whom I worked called me “lazy”. At first I was offended. Then he explained that being lazy was a good characteristic for a programmer. It meant that I would seek the path of least resistance to a problem. I guess this trait has stuck with me.
I am always seeking gadgets, software, and other items that make my job easier. Of course, my work needs have changed over the years and have intermingled with my personal habits, so many of my tools have changed. Tools and gadgets fall into many categories, including physical devices, software, and websites. Below is a partial list that will grow as this site expands. I will write detailed reviews on each over time, but highly recommend all of these.
Only one warning: I am not talking required work items, such as cell phones, computers, cameras, and the like. These are probably already a part of you life. However, I will write about come of the add-ons that make these devices more productive.
- Livescribe Pulse Pen and related supplies
- Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard for Smart Phones and Tablets
- Plantronics BackBeat 903+ Stereo Bluetooth Headset
- BlueAnt S4 Voice Controlled Bluetooth Speaker
- Olympus WS-300M Digital Recorder
- Omron HJ-720ITC Pocket Pedometer with software
- Samsung CLX Color Laser Printer and Scanner
- Bostitch Electric Stapler
- Bostitch Electric Paper Punch
- P-Touch 55 Labler
- Wagan Twin USB and 12V DC Cup Holder Power Adapter
- CardScan Executive card scanner
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- 37 Signals Basecamp
… many, many more to come..
Comment below to let me know what you think of these devices, what tools and gadgets you like, and any areas that you would like me to write about in the future.